Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Just getting started in pen-testing

From: Matt - MRS Security <matt () mrssecurity com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:42:33 +0000

Every business with a computer/presence needs a pentest from the one office startups to the multi-billion dollar companies.

Vet's, doctors, dentists, teleco's, insurance, manufacturers, your local quicky-mart that takes credit cards etc.

Desktop reviews, server reviews, network device reviews, firewall rule reviews, voip review, internal reviews, bes reviews, active directory reviews, password reviews, user reviews, social engineering, VPN, war dial, isdn, internet review, network IDS/NIDS, web application - oh man i could go on.

Working as a freelancer you are going to have to prove why the bigger boys (NGS, NTA, NCC, MWR MCI/Verizon, Deloittes, IBM, PWC etc(which all have a world-wide presence) are not the people to go with and you are. Your also going to have to prove that you as a person can deliver small to large projects ontime and in a process that the customer likes unlike other companies who already have established routines both with testing, reporting, and solutions. Your also going to have to market yourself to these companies.

Your also going to have to sell to a company with presentations why they should part with their money in these rather economicaly screwed times.

Start with A in the telephone book and work through to 9.

Phone your friends, and ask them to phone their friends. Obtain contracting work from a pentest company. Make a name for yourself.

To be honest, i would either sub-contract to a company with links into other companies (thats what i did) with my friends (Myself, Robert and Steve!), join a pentest company or hire a sales guy - you must know a few people in this industry (you posted articles to 2600 a few times) so ring them up and ask for work! :D

Matt.

m0rebel wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but my original questions remain
unanswered: What advice can you give about _working as a freelancer_,
and what type of _small businesses_ need pen tests? I'm doing other
research into these questions, of course, but it only makes sense to
ask other pen testers.

I know my dark-themed website is untraditional in the pen-testing
industry, but it was a deliberate decision. If I wanted to market
myself differently, I wouldn't have chosen the name Bandit Defense.
I'm also not asking for advice in how to advance my career as a pen
testing, or what other certs to take. I'm just trying to hear from
people who have also worked freelance, and who have had customers that
weren't medium to large corporations.

J, I don't know why you assume that I only use automated tools and
that I'm a scriptkiddy, but I apologize if my website scared you away.

m0rebel
Bandit Defense