Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Pen Test

From: "Samuel Korpi" <korpi.samuel () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 22:45:49 +0200

2008/11/26 anshuman sharma <anshuman251 () gmail com>

Is there any tool available to break WAP2 encryption (I searched a lot
but was not able to find any). I know using Aircrack (Airodump and
Aireplay), WEP and WPA key can be breaked. But if the encyption is
WPA2 can we give a reasonable assurance to the client that the Wifi
network is secure from outside.

WPA2 with AES-CCMP provides the necessary security assurance, for now
at least. Unfortunately some legacy applications do not support it.
The older TKIP encryption can be partially broken regardless of
whether WPA or WPA2 is used. SANS organized a pretty good webcast of
the issue a little while ago, called "Understanding the WPA/WPA2
Break".  You should still be able to access the material through

https://www.sans.org/webcasts/show.php?webcastid=92188

BR,

Samuel Korpi