Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Nmap output

From: "Nikhil Wagholikar" <visitnikhil () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:03:12 +0530

Hello Maash,

I appreciate you tried the same parameters on Ubuntu i.e. Linux
operating system. However, it wouldn't be possible that NMap didn't
provide you with any OS guess. If Nmap is not sure of the remote
operating system, then it would provide you with list of operating
systems based on its level of guesses.

For version detection, you would have to provide '-v' switch of Nmap
along with the options you already provided. Else to perform both
Operating system guess and version detection (with script scan and
Traceroute) in one go, you can use '-A' switch of Nmap.

As far as open ports reporting of Nmap is concerned, you can check
which Nmap (I mean from Microsoft Windows and UNIX/Linux) is providing
you correct results, by executing Nmap from both these systems and
then verifying the results manually by TELNETting to those open ports
on remote system.

However, there is no doubt that NMap as a product, is a wonderful,
powerful and reliable port scanning tool. Fydoor and his team is
making utmost efforts to make sure that no version of Nmap (may that
be on Microsoft Windows or UNIX/Linux) provides with any false
positive results.

---
NIKHIL WAGHOLIKAR
Practice Lead | Security Assessment and Digital Forensics
NII Consulting
Web: http://www.niiconsulting.com/
Security Products: http://www.niiconsulting.com/products.html