Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Vuln Scanner for Web App Source Code

From: Jason <securitux () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 12:49:52 -0400

Fortify and Ounce both have source code scanners and both are quite
capable (at least seem to be). I am in the middle of trying to figure
out which one to use for our source code analysis projects.

Cenzic Hailstorm and SPI Dynamics Web Inspect are vulnerability
scanners ONLY and do NOT inspect source code. Same with Paros Proxy,
this is a pen testing / VA tool more than anything.

I'd still recommend you do manual checks in addition to using a source
code scanner. You'll have to to verify the results.

-J