Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: username and Password sent as clear text strings

From: christopher.riley () r-it at
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:12:13 +0200

An IPSEC solution would put extra load on the server and clients for
encryption of the traffic. It would also possibly cause problems if the
users are remote and not part of the domain, as you will need to use
either a certificate or a PSK (pre-shared key) for the IPSEC. A PSK is
obviously easier to implement, but weaker than the certificate option.

From my view a simpler option would be to recommend that the webapp only
transmits username password in encrytped format across the wire even when
SSL is used. Adding another layer of on the wire encryption is just a
little overkill for something that might or might not be an issue. For the
client, it would seem like too much hassle for a low possibility hack. If
the SSL is working then nothing on the wire should be visible in clear
text. If a Man in the Middle attack of SSL failure (see Debian for
details) occurs, then the important details of the traffic are still
encrypted using whatever scheme the client decides on.

Chris