Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Pen Test and Sec Org

From: Justin Townsend <justin.townsend () i-assure com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 10:52:37 -0500

I work for many customers that are set up in a similar manner, and would heartily recommend it. The core concept is to
have a separation of duties, with one party performing the engineering/operation, and the other party providing the
security requirements and assessing the system to determine any gap between implementation and requirements. This helps
to avoid a conflict of interest where an engineer is assessing their own work. This is a pretty standard setup in
mature security organizations. As for standards (United States federal, at least,) I would check out the NIST Special
Publications series, specifically "SP 800-100 Information Security Handbook: A Guide for Managers."  It's a solid
overview of an entire security organization. It's tailored for US federal systems, but most of the theory applies to
any larger organization.

All that said, I would put the pen tests under the "Information Security" group in your model.

Justin Townsend

I-Assure, LLC | Defense In Depth Solutions
justin.townsend () i-assure com