Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Odd XSS Exploit

From: "arvind doraiswamy" <arvind.doraiswamy () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 10:32:46 +0530

You want to elaborate a bit more on this? My feel is that the fact
that it gave you  a session error back meant that you were already
logged in to the application. Then you intrcepted or somehow did the
XSS bit upon which the app detected you had messed around with the
variables and threw you out. You then killed Firefox which should have
destroyed the session as well but for some reason did not. Most
probably because there is some kind of "remember me " feature in the
application which is storing session state somewhere(maybe a cookie??)
or the page what you see is cached and there's no real connection
happening to the server when you go to that page again. This sounds
possible as well because a "logged in user" page if it has static
content might not change and is cached. That is a problem but its not
an XSS problem.

If I've misunderstood please post back.

Cheers
Arvind