Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Does the SMS remote control user leave footprints in process memory ?

From: natron <natron () invisibledenizen org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:31:45 -0500

Hmm, that's odd.  I haven't tested this in too many environments, but
I've picked up SMS admin accounts with whosthere.exe.  I wonder if
it's something specific with it using NTLMv2, as I'm unaware what the
auth protocol is in the environments where I've picked them up.

Force it down to NTLMv1 and see if the credentials pop up.   Also, are
you sure you're timing it correctly?  I believe using whosthere.exe in
continuous mode only checks every 2 seconds.  In my environment, the
account is only logged in for 1 second (or less).

In my security event log, I see:

2:25:14PM
Event ID: 528
"Successful Logon"
Logon Type: 9
Logon Process: ADVAPI
Auth Pkg: Negotiate

2:25:14PM
Privilege use notification that a policy change occurred

2:25:15PM
Event ID: 538
User Logoff

So if using the -i option you'll easily miss this types of logons.  I
use event triggers tied to EID 528 to get around this.  (It never
misses and keeps whosthere.exe from showing up in your task manager
for more than a fraction of a second.)