Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Identify rogue adsl modems routers in the network

From: Volker Tanger <vtlists () wyae de>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 23:52:22 +0200

Hi!

On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:25:11 +0400
t35tman <t35tman () gmail com> wrote:

Had a weired requirement recently.
I was wondering if there is any way to detect an adsl modem/router
connected to a phone line.

The scenario being able to trace the adsl modem/router internally
from within the corporate network or externally from the ISP network.

I had the problem once and wrote a simple scanner identifying
active/working (!) routers
        http://www.wyae.de/software/router-finder/

It won't find shut down/restricted routers or plain (non-routing)
DSL modems, though, nor ISDN TAEs nor analogue modems...

The only option I see is to check with the ISP ... any suggestions ?

*which* ISP? Here in Germany there are dozens which could be chosen
from. And that only works if it is cooperating and telling you all
contracts for the named address.

Good luck!

Volker

--