Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: AppScan and IDS evasion

From: "Erin Carroll" <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 12:46:18 -0700

If an IDS is blocking/banning your source IP there are a couple things that
are possibly happening that you can try to work around the issue. Either a
probe (or group of probe types) in AppScan is triggering an IDS response
based on request type or your concurrent connection and request rate is
triggering anti-DoS responses.

First, I would recommend limiting your concurrent threads to a bare minimum,
see if that works. Bear in mind that this will increase the total time
AppScan takes to complete a scan significantly.

Second, if that doesn't work and you are still getting blocked you may want
to modify which tests are being performed. Depending on IDS setup and type,
you could encounter blocking for request types which don't match the target
server ("content-aware" approaches) like sending apache probes against an
IIS server. If that doesn't work, try removing server/service attacks/checks
from your scan run and stick to just content-based attacks. Some IDS/IPS
systems are aware of server/service attack behavior (like Apache 2.2.3's
mod_rewrite off-by-one error vuln).

But, like you said, manual checking is the way to go. AppScan and similar
tools are just useful first steps to help pinpoint potential vectors.

SecurityFocus has pretty good intro to IDS evasion techniques at
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1577

Hope that helps. I'm sure other list members will have other suggestions :)

--
Erin Carroll
amoeba () amoebazone com