Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: anonymous Zonetransfer (AXFR) exploatation

From: Volker Tanger <vtlists () wyae de>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:49:38 +0100

Greetings!

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:09:19 +0200
Radu Oprisan <radu () securesystems ro> wrote:

LordDoskias wrote:
The best thing that I can think if to use the information obtained
from the zone transfer. Perhaps some "private" hosts will come up
that you can look into? To my mind AXFR transfers should be
considered as part of the  reconnaissance stage of a pen-test.

Actually, they were, a long time ago.

...and some still are. You might be lucky, you might be not.

The Fierce DNS bruteforcer tries an AXFR first, and if not successful,
it DNS-bruteforces a domain. Thus it covers both approaches with one
tool.

But I am time and again surprised how often an AXFR request still is
successful.

Bye

Volker

--