Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Virtual addresses, router techniques

From: "Sanjay R" <2sanjayr () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 20:13:37 +0530

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Sujiru <xsujiru () yahoo com> wrote:

Hi!

If you run an exploit against a virtual machine are the memory addresses, which are typically hardcoded in the
exploit, the same or is there some difference?
sanjay>> remains same. most of the applications dont know that they r
running under VM. however, some sophisticated exploits may have check
for this.

Also, aside from  playing with the  dhcp and  routing specific  ports/protocls, what other techniques can be used to
gain access to the internal network/machines when you have access to the router? I'm looking for real world
 examples.
sanjay>> not very clear on the question. You want to say that if you
have access to the router, its easy (playing) to get access (breakin)
in the machines using dhcp etc? I feel, that its not easy to get into
the LAN PCs. you have to, anyway, look for vulnerabilities on those
machines to get into. If it is the case, then certainly, u have look
for remotely exploitable vulnerabilities in any security site. u can
use Metasploit type tool.

-sanjay

Thanks.

Top 5 Common Mistakes in