Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Question re: load balancers as a security device

From: David Glosser <david_glosser () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:31:44 -0800 (PST)

-Sounds like employees at the ISP have access to those servers, and by extension, could get into your network.
-Many ISPs have "service" networks for backups and management - what if a server on the same backup segment has a virus
and infects your machine and then jumps into your corporate address space?

-Unless the load balancers are doing some sort of filtering, it seems that the machines are being touched -- The load
balancers  basically deciding WHICH machine  will be accessed, and pass everything, such as through the injection
attempts,  to the web server behind it....