Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Question re: load balancers as a security device

From: "Matthew Leeds" <mleeds () theleeds net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:56:14 -0800

The answer is, it depends. It depends on the network design and the technology used by the load balancer. For example,
a round-robin DNS load balancer offers no security. Sure, one could argue that since you don't expose the host via a
public IP address there is no risk. That's not the case. You might want to read:

http://www.networkcomputing.com/1102/1102ws1.html

or if you are a MS shop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A101CA7D-6FCD-44BF-8BE1-47F1462DCB24&displaylang=en
http://207.46.196.114/WindowsServer/en/Library/fa6ef832-1aa7-472f-b492-0dd3c60bd46d1033.mspx