Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Spidering

From: Tonnerre Lombard <tonnerre.lombard () sygroup ch>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:38:05 +0100

Salut,

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:58:41 +0000 "me me" <securityoneoone () googlemail com> wrote:
Whilst I don't expect it to get everything (JavaScript etc is going
to take manual intervention, so is a number of other possible
technologies), I have never really found a tool that I consider to be
the defacto spidering tool from this perspective. One of the biggest
problems is a lot of the spiders seem to choke on really big sites,
or go into infinite loops  etc etc.

Yes, Microsoft Passport is very evil there, as an example. My trick to
solve the Microsoft Passport Problem is to search every link if it
contains an URLencoded version of the current URL and if it does,
ignore it. That appears to avoid deadloops.

I haven't yet seen other deadloops as far as I remember, but then again
I didn't index very much yet.

                                Tonnerre
--
SyGroup GmbH
Tonnerre Lombard

Solutions Systematiques
Tel:+41 61 333 80 33            Güterstrasse 86
Fax:+41 61 383 14 67            4053 Basel
Web:www.sygroup.ch              tonnerre.lombard () sygroup ch