Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Tool for sending malicious traffic to destination system

From: "John Forristel (SunGard-Chico)" <John.Forristel () sungardbi-tech com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 06:39:18 -0800

If I understand the problem, you need to gather information from a
remote machine without tripping the IPS.  Or change your scanner to not
trip the IPS.

The first method takes me back a while, so I had to look it up.  It
would require finding a machine that returned packet with sequential
numbers.  Most these days are random, or random enough where it makes no
difference.  The method is found at
http://insecure.org/nmap/idlescan.html

The other way is to slow your scans enough where the IPS server won't
trigger and block your packets.  In NMAP, you can do this by setting the
-t option to 2, 1, or 0 to slow its down.  Of course, this take a lot
more time, but it is patience that counts in the pentest game.

Personally, I use Nessus in conjunction with NMAP.  I use a setting of
-t2 and let it go on the subnet.  This can take a couple of days, but
who cares.  I never schedule a pentest without three weeks of time,
minimum.  Once I can look at what it open/filtered/closed, I tailor the
Nessus session to look at the particular services, not just slam the
whole thing.  I set Nessus to scan one target at a time (the default it
4).  I use Metasploit with the same methodology.  Metasploit is more
granular, and the proof is far more convincing to a client.

However, if you goal is to send malformed packets only, Scapy is the
tool you are looking for, NMAP doesn't do that.

John