Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Port Scanner Challenge Revisited: Nmap, Unicornscan, Portbunny

From: Dan Catalin Vasile <hardware_cta () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 07:56:48 -0800 (PST)

I will conduct my own tests trying to follow as many
variables as possible.
While speed is an important factor I don't think it's
the only important aspect in a portscanner. Would you
prefer a fast port scanner with a high rate of
undetected ports?

I will publish the results in a couple of weeks. But
hey, I translated the Nmap documentation in romanian.
Would my results be impartial? What if nmap proves to
be the best after all? Will I be blamed? Seriously
now, the test is all about the methodology. I will
present the results and a personal note over them. You
will do the conclusions and maybe have a solid ground
when choosing the best portscanner for a particular
job.

'till then, happy, fast and good port scanning.

Dan Vasile

--- Erin Carroll <amoeba () amoebazone com> wrote:

I would love to see another independent review of
these tools. If someone
takes up the challenge to do some nice comparison
testing there is some
things I'd like to see.

A major issue I see is that a lot of these reviews
either don't address or
put much emphasis on is reliability of results.
Speed is critical issue and
knowing which tool to select for your particular
needs is great... but if
comparison testing could also incorporate a matrix
which aligned reported
results with actual ports/systems in the testbed for
accuracy that would
rock.

my 2 pesos

--