Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: NetScreen Password Hash

From: David Moore <dave () moorehome co uk>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:33:32 +0000

Hi,

I read somewhere that netscreen inserts consonants of the word 'netscreen' backwards into the hash. Something like ..n...r..c..s..t...n.. I did check if this is correct on a 5GT and it appears to be true. Removing these letters should leave a hash which is crackable. I didn't go as far as cracking it but might work.
Hope this helps

Serdar Cetin wrote:
Hey ;

I am doing a penetration test and i managed to get the config file of
netscreen 204 , i want to crack password so i can get Access to device (I
got the admin manager ips) but i couldnt figure out the type of password
hash , i have also searched the google nothing but old archive about same
issue looks like a failure  ! , is there any1 knows how to get around the
password hash or a tool to crack the password hash of netscreen 204 config
file , also I would like to know it its possible to sniff data over vpn , I
mean I got a vpn(l2tp) connection to remote LAN and I want to use this
connection to use sniff data on remote lan , any tools , paper would be
great thnx.

Need to secure your web apps NOW?
Cenzic finds more, "real" vulnerabilities fast.
Click to try it, buy it or download a solution FREE today!

http://www.cenzic.com/downloads

--
believed to be clean.