Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Several Domains

From: tony_l_turner () yahoo com
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 02:08:45 +0000

Its just a DNS alias. The machine has 1 IP but is hosting several domains For example www.foo.com foo.com www.foo.org
foo.org www.foo.net and foo.net might all point to the same place. (This is the most popular, having www.foo.* and
foo.* point to same place, this is accomplished by using an A-record for the short name and a CNAME-record for the www
address that points to foo.*) Or you might host a ftp.foo.* on the same server. You can't expect site visitors to
remember your IP address but using alias this way allows you to ensure people can type in the URL wrong and still get
to your site.

It doesn't have to point to the same page though, you can also use this technique for hosting completely different
domains on a single server. I run 3 separate domains on my hosted web server this way without having to have 3 separate
hosting accounts. I just add a domain and build the site for that domain and nobody is ever the wiser.

Google "dns alias" or "cname records" and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for. You might also want to read
up on DNS in general as it sounds like your foundational understanding is a bit lacking.