Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Exploiting XSS

From: "Adriel T. Desautels" <ad_lists () netragard com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 19:33:45 -0500

Anthony, I'll have ti disagree with you here. To me it looks like he found the vulnerabilities by using an automated web application security scanner, not via manual testing. While I understand that you are standing up for the man (and I respect that) I do not respect people who offer protective security services when they don't know what they are doing. That in my opinion is nearly criminal because you are giving people a false sense of security. What are you going to say when they get hacked because you missed something absolutely obvious? People who pay security experts to do work should always be getting quality work.

With respect to XSS attacks, I understand them very well. I understand how to steal cookies, launch phishing attacks, even redirect and pwn browsers. My point is though, XSS does not provide you wit "Direct" methods of penetration into a system, well not in most cases anyway. In most cases its the attack that you do with XSS that then allows you to penetrate, sort of indirect.

Thanks for the offer for help by the way, but I'm all set there.