Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Level of Exploitation

From: "Shenk, Jerry A" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 21:50:02 -0500

My guess would be that they don't have a clue what they even mean by
"level of exploitation".  I am guessing that what they want is to know
how bad it is.  Basic XSS means that you got the web page to spit back
something that you gave it...that could be very ho-hum or it could be
very bad.  Same thing with the SQL injection....were you able to get it
to give you a parameter error when you sent it something which indicates
that they aren't properly checking the incoming data...that is an
indication that something bad might be possible.  ...or, were you able
to dump the entire dataset...maybe even get the SQL server to run some
command and connect to your waiting server...maybe even shovel you a
shell....but I'm guessing you would have called that something other
than SQL injection...like maybe a total compromise or something.

I think pen-testers in general need to be able to put "bad stuff" into a
business perspective.  What does the business owner stand to lose.  How
easy is the exploit to do?  How prevalent is the exploit?  I think we
should also give them ways to detect it...give them specific times that
you launched the attack and have them see what it looks like in their
logs...then they can look through their logs to see if somebody else has
been targeting them.