Penetration Testing mailing list archives

CoBIT a Security Audit Framework?

From: Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 12:53:33 -0500

Hello,

<rant>

I just received my 3rd request in as many weeks, from a job shop agency
looking for someone to do a "Pen Test using the CoBIT framework" or to
"Audit an organization's security using the CoBIT framework."

I have looked at the latest CoBIT (and had used 2.x in the past for
non-security audits), and I still do not see ANYTHING about CoBIT that
has to do with IT Security at a practical security level. However, it
appears to be the popular perception in industry that CoBIT is *THE*
security audit framework, and if you pass a CoBIT audit, then "you are
secure."

Where did this perception come from that CoBIT has anything to do with
security? It is simply an IT *GOVERNANCE* audit framework -- so why is
it perceived to be a SECURITY audit framework? I cannot believe that
anyone that is an IT professional could have such a serious misperception!

And what REALLY gets me is that organizations expect you to be able to
do a PEN TEST using CoBIT! When I explain that something like OSSTMM is
a more correct framework for a PEN TEST (or even NIST 800-115 or
800-53A), they don't want to hear it -- its gotta be CoBIT! They have so
many misunderstandings as to what CoBIT is and is not useful for, it is
incredible -- and they are not interested in learning anything different.

Who / what is driving this "CoBIT is the only acceptable IT Security
audit framework" mentality and what can we do to change it?

Also, is ISACA pushing CoBIT as a security framework? Looking at their
web site, they do not seem to be. Anyone know what their position is on
CoBIT being used as an IT Security audit framework?

</rant>

THANKS!

Jon Kibler
- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-224-2494
s: 843-564-4224
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonrkibler

My PGP Fingerprint is:
BAA2 1F2C 5543 5D25 4636 A392 515C 5045 CF39 4253