Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: WebTrends testing

From: "Shenk, Jerry A" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:54:46 -0400

Are you testing feom the inside out?  Is the goal of the client to restrict and/or log web access from within the
network?

If those questions are true, you might try going around web trends by setting up an proxy server on the outside
someplace.  This proxy should probably use https and a non-standard port.  If they are not doing any egress filtering,
this may let you circumvent this security control.

This really is an attack on the egress filtering rules but, if it lets you bypass the task that web trends is
performing, it's a valid test...depending on the scope of course;)

There are also specific web trends attacks that obfuscate the web requests.  That depends on the particular version
though...and I don't have specific info 'cuz I haven't done it.