Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Emulate Switch for L2 Network Security Testing

From: Phillip Ames <pentest () una-cerveza com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 23:49:06 -0400

Hi,
You may be able to use Dynamips/Dynagen to accomplish what you need. You can create virtual switches that have ports assigned to different VLANs, however, if I recall correctly you can't telnet to those switches and manage them the way you can manage a "real" network switch. You can only do that for L3 devices that you provide an IOS image for.

Dynamips also provides a good method for capturing packets on the simulated devices interfaces for later analysis.

HTH,
-Phil

Abuse 007 wrote:
I found a white paper http://www.vmware.com/pdf/esx3_vlan_wp.pdf that
discusses virtual switches and VLANs in VMWare ESX. The FAQ at the end
states that ESX does not support DTP...

Do any linux distros support DTP?

Thanks.