Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Inaccessible Port 80 - Pentest

From: "Shenk, Jerry A" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:22:15 -0400

- Maybe that's the administrative port on their firewall and they're not
doing an adequate job blocking access.
- Maybe it's not really a web site and you aren't doing the appropriate
handshake

Have you tried connecting using Netcat or something like that....maybe
it's giving you more than you think.

Does it drop you RIGHT AWAY or does it only drop you after some amount
of time, some amount/type of input?