Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Trend towards cheaper pen-test suites

From: "Andres Riancho" <andres.riancho () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 18:01:49 -0300

Andre,

On 8/5/08, Andre Gironda <andreg () gmail com> wrote:
Has anyone noticed a recent trend towards cheaper pen-test suites?

E.g. SAINTexploit and CORE Impact Essential
http://www.saintcorporation.com/products/penetration_testing/saint_exploit.html
http://www.corest.com/content/core-impact-essential-overview

Has anyone used these or do you plan on using them?

I did a little statistics on the CVE's of the now 4 major exploitation
suites (Impact, SaintExploit, Canvas, and Metasploit) and it appears
that over 60% of the exploits are unique to one suite.  This means
that there is only 40% overlap.

It also appears that Canvas has the most unique exploits, followed by
SaintExploit then Metasploit.  About 80% of Impact's exploits are
featured in the other suites.

    I think it's pretty simple... if metasploit keeps getting
better(more exploits, more reliable, better support in their mailing
list, etc) all commercial tools that perform the same tasks will have
to cut down their prices in order to keep their market share.

Cheers,
Andre

Top 5 Common Mistakes in
Securing Web Applications