Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: SSL MITM not on port 443

From: "Shenk, Jerry A" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:50:22 -0400

Have you ever done what you're trying to do on a "normal" SSL web
server?  My recommendation would be to set up a web server in your lab
with ssl set up.  Then make sure you can get your exploit working on
that.  If you can, then move the server to some port other than 443 and
see if you can still make your exploit work.  As I understand ettercap,
it does it's MITM by presenting its own certificate to the client in
hopes that the client will accept that certificate.  Then ettercap
establishes a connection to the end server just like Paros does.

You've also talked about using a "false certificate" - does this
application have a certificate on the client side?  Most SSL encrypted
sessions only have a certificate on the server side.