Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Penetration Testing Scheduling

From: Sat Jagat Singh <flyingdervish () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:47:14 -0700 (PDT)

Red teaming is a valid approach to testing, where the IT staff has no knowledge of the engagement outside of
management.  It all depends on the rules of engagement.  This should be tailored to the client and their needs.

Most commonly with the organizations that I work with it is most appropriate to involve the client closely.  When they
want to test whether their IDS is working properly we try some stealthy probing of systems and accesses that they would
want to be alerted about and then ask them, did you get an alert from this stuff I was doing at xx:00p.m.  Does the
client want to test their incident response procedures and personnel training on that procedure?  If so, you need to be
sure that specific people are kept out of the loop, so their response is genuine.  But not all engagements will include
these elements.  Certainly the receptionist should not be clued in that someone may try to sneak by her in the next
week or so.

So, you see that who is let in on knowledge of the testing depends on what is being tested.

I also find that a lot of testers get a lot of ego boost out of the game of beating the IT team.  If that's your goal,
tell them as little as possible.  If your goal is, instead, to help them find the vulnerabilities so that they can fix
them, you should work with them closely.