Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Terminal services and remote programs.

From: "arvind doraiswamy" <arvind.doraiswamy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:00:03 +0530

Hey Paul,
Things like Citrix work exactly like this. So that way you do not have
to install programs on each and every user workstation; in this case
Office and Adobe possibly primarily because licenses are costly.

Is this machine on which your products are installed part of a domain?
Do all users actually "login" to this machine or do they just double
click on this shortcut on their desktops? If its a login keep in mind
that you're probably allowing X users all connections to your server
on which products are installed. You'll probably have to harden
Terminal Services really well so that these guys can only launch
products they "need to launch".

What context will they run under? The context of the user they launch
the application as. So if you've denied a user access to say cmd.exe
and they break out off Office(somehow) they will get a cmd prompt of
that ID.

All this however can definitely be prevented if there's proper network
and host level access control in place. Who gains access to the
machine? Strong password policies. Strict control over running what
exe's(there are products which do this) and hardening Terminal
services through the mmc snap in available plus using RDP over SSL
with atleast a self signed certificate. This should get you going at
least!!

Cheers
Arvind