Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Strange cookies

From: Dirk Reimers <Dirk.Reimers () gmx de>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:34:58 +0200

Hi all,

I'm just doing a short test on a web app and monitor some strage behaviuor in the generated cookies. It seems, the cookies (32 different symbols [a..z,0..5], 24 symbols per cookie) have some statistical anomalies such as by gathering 21912 cookies the combination of '45' starting at position 7, 15, or 23 have been counted 12580 times. And only 9332 cookies do not have any '45' combination in them. As my poor statistical knowlegde tells me the probability to meet '45' on a certain position should be about 21 (not 9157 with is measured for beginning position 7).

There a some more staticital anomalies (such as not any cookie can be grabbed with the symbol '4' at position 7 - not a measy little cookie!!).

So I'd like to feed the cookies to any statistic anomalie detector tellin me 'these cookies are quite random' or 'these cookies are very poor random'.

I'd search for 'fips-140' tests suites but wasn't able to find any free tool.

Does anybody of you guys have some experiences in testing the randomness of cookies? Maybe any tools like n-gram analysis that work with a bounch of numbers?

Thanx a lot for your support

Dirk