Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Are Fragmentation Attacks Still Used for IDS/IPS Evasion?

From: seclt yuri <secltyuri () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:29:19 -0700 (PDT)

Yes but this effectively means that fragmentation
attacks are useless if launched across the 'Net and
when performing a penetration test without local
access.

Also, even internal host systems are usually
segregated from servers and server vlans by a
firewall, so even then, I can't see how fragmentation
attacks would be effective.  The only scenario that I
can think of would be within the same subnet or vlan
where traffic doesn't pass through a firewall.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  Thank you.

--- Harry Hoffman <hhoffman () ip-solutions net> wrote:

yep, unfortunately not enough people using host
based firewalls and alot
of attacks happen inside of where the firewall
protects (i.e. local lan)

seclt yuri wrote:
Hi,
  I was just reading up on fragmentation attacks
using
fragrouter and fragrouter as a mean of IDS/IPS
evasion.  However, since almost all firewalls both
commercial and free (iptables for examples) now
have
support for fragment reassembly, are fragmentation
attacks still effective?  Thanks.

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/

Need to secure your web apps NOW?
Cenzic finds more, "real" vulnerabilities fast.
Click to try it, buy it or download a solution
FREE today!

http://www.cenzic.com/downloads