Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Raw sockets vs connect() scanning on windows/linux

From: Daniel Miessler <daniel () dmiessler com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:32:12 -0400

On the linux side, anyone know which scanners modify the raw socket
packet
creation to craft 60 byte packets to mimic exactly the typical
connect()
packet to get around products which are smart enough to tell the
difference
and change behaviors accordingly?

As I mentioned in the piece, doing an -sT scan seems to mimic a
standard connect().

I know that with XP SP2 Microsoft removed raw sockets and there was a
workaround that was subsequently broken with MS05-019 & later
patches, and
that 2k3 server you can still utilize raw sockets. What's the
latest scoop
on windows scanners in this regard and the linux question above?

I still use Windows Server 2003 for my Windows security platform.
2000 Workstation was ok, too, but it's just too old. I imagine that
I'll be moving to 2008 after a while, but for now 2003 is the most
solid platform as far as I can tell.

Cheers,

--
Daniel Miessler