Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Directory Transversal

From: jfvanmeter () comcast net
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:29:24 +0000

The application that i'm testing has fuctionality that is like a web server in the way that I can make a connection via
a web browser and it will send HTML content to the browser that shows the status of a process.

Currently i'm running Web Scarab and Wireshark to monitor the session and capture the packets.

The service runs as "System" so I believe I have user rights that are assigned to "System", if thats not the case then
it most be running as anonymous which I believe is include in the Everyone and Users groups.

Take Care and Have Fun --john

From: "Zed Qyves" <zqyves.spamtrap () gmail com>
Hello John,

The fact that you are getting a directory traversal should not mean
anything else to you rather than you are getting outside the web root
at least for reading files.

As for PUT, what does the OPTIONS command tell you? Is PUT an enabled
verb on the web server you are testing? otherwise you are not going to
go anywhere with that. You can also check for WEBDAV verbs that may
interest you...

In any case to go outside the web root for writing files as well you
need to have some help from the underlying O/S regaind file/directory
permissions...

Hope it helps,
ZQ