Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Mobile phone pen-testing,

From: Jerome Athias <jerome.athias () free fr>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:48:29 +0200

Hi Wilmar,

you should first do a check with NetMonitor
http://wiki.thc.org/cracking_a5 is a good reference

and as an example, here is one defense product:
http://www.spycatcheronline.co.uk/gsm-cryptacell-p-193.html

2c
/JA
http://www.ja-psi.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeromeathias

Wilmar Sulaiman a écrit :
Hi guys,

I am looking for a guidance on how to pen test a mobile phone on the
GSM network. Well I guess the main objective in this pen test is to
ensure that no one is listening to my phone conversation. I am hoping
to get a reasonable assurance that no one this includes phone operator
can listen to my conversation.

As a mobile phone user, is there something that we can do to secure
mobile phone conversation? Is it possible to setup a secure channel
communication through GSM network? just like VPN? How expensive is the
device?

cheers,
Wilmar