Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Full Disclosure of Security Vulnerabilities

From: Junaid <junaid () thusa co za>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 08:38:56 +0200

Hi John,

Personally, I do believe the vulnerability should be disclosed soon.
However, like you mentioned, there are client systems at risk.

Has the vendor created/released a patch for the vulnerability?

If so, then ensure your client's systems are fully patched before making
the vulnerability public knowledge.

If not, then I think the vendor should be notified that the
vulnerability will be made public soon, and that they MUST release a
patch to fix the issue.

Personally, I feel that the main aim of full disclosure... is to ensure
that vendors do not become lazy with patch releases and updates.

Regards,
Junaid

jfvanmeter () comcast net wrote:
 Hello Everyone, I would llike to get your thoughts on Full Disclosure of Security Vulnerabilities . About 3 weeks
ago during a per-test of a software suite for a client of myine, I found a directory traversal in a software suite
that my client has installed on thousands of workstation.

I send screen shots and a packet capture to the vendor and they were able to to recreate the exploit.

my cleint doesn't want to go public with it because of the thousands of workstations and servers that its installed
on. I also don't believe the vendor will go public with it, what would you all do?

Best Regards --John

--
Junaid Loonat (B.Sc CompSci & Information Systems)
Software Development

Thusa Business Support (Pty) Ltd
Website:    http://www.thusa.co.za

"Without our hardships, what worth are our successes?"