Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Opinions of automated testers

From: "Erin Carroll" <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:58:25 -0700

Mathijs,

SPI Dynamics does have a demo download with a temp key that allows you to
test WebInspect using their http://zero.webappsecurity.com website. The site
is completely reimaged each night so you can play around with the tool to
your heart's content with SQL injection, fuzzing, etc. They've done a great
job in setting things up so potential clients can get a really good feel for
the tool and it's capabilities. I don't work for SPI but I've worked with
them extensively in the past and am most familiar with their product so take
my recommendations with a grain of salt. Other products may suit your needs
better in particular areas or capabilities.

I'm not certain if Cenzic or the other webappsec tools have a similar
setup/trial playground for product evaluation but I would be surprised if
that wasn't the case. Most companies in this product space also offer
pricing for corporate (unlimited internal usage) clients as well as lower
cost engagement-based licensing for consultants/services companies.

I know you vendors lurk on the list so if any SPI, Cenzic, or Watchfire guys
want to pipe up with more info I'll let it through as long as it isn't too
sales-pitch-ish. If you could provide a relatively unbiased comparison
between your tool and the others in your space in regards to what features
you have and how they compare to your competition that would be useful for
this audience. Some products excel in a particular area or have feature sets
unique to you and having some more technical information on the capabilities
of each would be useful. Just bear in mind that the audience is pen-testers
and not the SecurityFcus webappsec list which also discusses these
questions. :)

--
Erin Carroll
Moderator