Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Strange ports

From: zion <zion.den () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:05:09 +1000

Hi Killy,

I am not sure if even port 53 needs to be open, It all depends on what service do you want to offer to the world. so you need to see if your organizations is offering this service to the world e.g. 3389 terminal service for the world to see ? you may need to contact some one in your organizations to ask if they need those services from the internet ?

Hope i have been of some help.

Regards
Zion

killy wrote:
Scanning my external firewall(at work), I (yes, it is my job to) find this:

PORT     STATE    SERVICE
53/tcp   open     domain

1029/tcp open     ms-lsa
1032/tcp open     iad3

3389/tcp open     ms-term-serv

Why would 1029 and 1032 need to be open from the outside?

-Kill