Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] SECNICHE : Dwelling Security is On the Run

From: Erin Carroll <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:17:06 +0000 (UTC)

Dave and list members,

The initial submission and review of the site appeared to have some relevance to pen-testing. However, subsequent and repeated cross-posting and "updates" for this site implied a more traffic-generating focus rather than anything specific to pen-test and were rejected. I don't think list members need to be notified each time a security company or resource has a webpage change.

Unless future submissions (from anyone really) are directly relevant to pen-testing (and contain some actual substance) you won't be seeing those submissions on the pen-test list.

Please note: I don't mind the occassional plug or infomercial from companies or professionals working in the security realm touting new products, techniques, or resources. It's always good to have exposure to what is new out there... but this is *not* a forum appropriate for sales spamming, google rank farming, or marketing fluff press releases.

RedSeal approached this the right way. They had a product demo trial they wanted to offer and get feedback on (and generate possible sales of course) and contacted me off list to check that it would be cool before submitting. All I asked was that they and/or the members that participated in the trial be free to provide unfiltered feedback to the list. You should be seeing some of that discussions/feedback soon.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know off list. Though I moderate pen-test, this forum belongs to the members and SecurityFocus and is not my personal ego playground. If a majority of list members wish to see things of a particular stripe I'll change processing to accomodate.

Thanks,

--
Erin Carroll
Modarator, SecurityFocus pen-test list