Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Mpack

From: "Erin Carroll" <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:40:35 -0700

All,

Any discussion or information on where to obtain the Mpack tookit for
purchase or malicious means will be rejected outright. The pen-test list
will not be used to facilitate illegal activities.

That said, I don't see danger in discussing the capabilities and potential
of this or similar toolkits. I'm interested in malicious code. I need to be
interested in malicious code to know how to help clients defend against it.
Some of the newest malware out there is amazingly complex and sophisticated.
To be blunt, the "bad guys" will always be slightly ahead of the "good guys"
in this arms race. I have pondered for quite some time the potential of
using "malware" toolkit platforms (Mpack, Agobot, etc) for legitimate
pen-testing purposes and this thread does provide a nice segue into that
realm. To paraphrase an oft-quoted phrase, "the tool isn't the problem, it's
how it is applied."

If the scope and legal contractual needs are such from a client to approve
utilizing social engineering or other "grey" methodologies which would
normally be construed as illegal (depending on local laws... yadda yadda
yadda) outside of that legal agreement, how is creating custom exploits
using Mpack different than creating exploit payloads for a Metasploit or
Core Impact toolkit? Are there practicing pen-test professionals out there
who have done this legally? I'm aware that the "bad guys" use "good guy"
tools for nefarious purposes... Is using the "bad guy" tools for "good guy"
purposes wrong? And if so, where do we draw the line?

I'm interested to hear your responses.

--
Erin Carroll
Moderator