Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Pentesting EFS MS Encryption

From: Sat Jagat Singh <flyingdervish () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:31:00 -0700 (PDT)

If you have control of the server on which the files
were encrypted, Microsoft provides key recovery
functions that you might want to check out.  See:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dc261d01-f76c-dd44-94f5-2a5e027fdfa7.aspx

Also, there at least one application that claims to be
able to (instantly) recover and EFS encrypted file.

http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html

I haven't tried it.  Please post back to the list if
you do and it works.
--- sherwyn.williams () gmail com wrote:

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if I have backup or some files
encrypted with the built in encryption in windows
but don't have the key how can I reverse this to
gain access to the files.

Example while conducting a test, I  have access to
the  network backup of various data that has a
faulty permission setting, but files are encrypted.

And I am sure this can be helpful to someone if the
have a backup but the system crashed. :(

Thanks in advance.
Sherwyn Williams
Technical Support
The Williams Solutions

Are you using SPI, Watchfire or WhiteHat?
Consider getting clear vision with Cenzic
See HOW Now with our 20/20 program!

http://www.cenzic.com/c/2020