Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Basic facilities required to establish a pen test lab

From: "Shenk, Jerry A" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:32:48 -0400

I on the otherhand test exploits in my lab all the time.  I find it very
useful to have a number of machines set up with a variety of operating
systems.  I find that by testing exploits in the lab, prior to
attempting them on-site I know better what results to expect.  One of my
goals in pen-testing is to avoid "blowing up" production boxes.  By
testing exploits in the lab, I can have a pretty good idea what the
results will be.  I also try to avoid getting caught. It mimics an
experienced attacker better to avoid making an insane amount of noise so
if I can find an exploit that will allow me to make a quick clean
attack, I find that going through that in the lab first allows me to do
better on the live test.  ....people never watch their logs anyway so
being stealthy isn't normally that big a deal;)

Lot of people use VMware or similar platforms for this and I do also, to
a degree.  I most often find myself using a number of old servers
(Compaq & "Intel Whitebox servers) with a variety of drives in hot-swap
trays that I swap in for a particular OS version and patch level.  I
don't really use the "hot-swap" feature to swap drives without rebooting
but it is handy to be able to just pull a drive out and stick another
one in.