Penetration Testing mailing list archives

SV: Brute-forcing cached Windows login password hashes

From: "Per Thorsheim" <putilutt () online no>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 22:30:32 +0200

Sorry, my bad. Anyway; doing a dictionary/hybrid attack will probably give
you access a lot faster. I've done quite a bit of password audits on Windows
systems over the last 9 years or so, and based on my experience you should
get 3-10% of all passwords in a domain within a few minutes of running a
simple dictionary logon attack.

Then again; why break the passwords, as pass-the-hash is fully possible in
most Windows environments?

Regards,
Per Thorsheim