Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Interesting find on GPSDrive with Kismet

From: "rajat swarup" <rajats () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:34:54 -0400

Hi Pen-Testers,
I was encountering a weird problem when using GPSDrive with kismet.
If I started gpsd, followed by Kismet, followed by GPSDrive I would
get an error :
Select () call: Bad file descriptor
Select () call: Bad file descriptor
Select () call: Bad file descriptor
Select () call: Bad file descriptor
Select () call: Bad file descriptor

I searched on different search engines for a solution but found no
help.  Eventually doing the following resulted in remediation:
logged on to mysql server and on mysql prompt entered the command:
drop database geoinfo # Mind you this deletes the data.

Then I restarted GPSDrive as follows:
gpsdrive -p /dev/ttyUSB0

This resulted in a perfect mapping of the access points in GPSDrive!

I just wanted to post this so that others who are facing this error
don't figure it out lilke I did...i.e., by using trial and error!

HTH,
--
Rajat Swarup

http://rajatswarup.blogspot.com/