Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Magic Quotes question

From: "Sanjay R" <2sanjayr () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:42:45 +0530

the reply may not be directly addressing your issues, but can give
some inkling (read from Shiflett's article)....
in case, GBK character set is involved, you can try using intelligent
encoding. In GBK, 0xbf27 is not a valid multi-byte character, but
0xbf5c is a valid one. so, what does it say? we assume that
addslashes() is being used. so, for single quotes 0x27, we will write
0xbf27. addslashes will change this to 0xbf5c27 i.e 0xbf5c and 0x27.

On 1/20/07, Tim <tim-pentest () sentinelchicken org> wrote:
> Why wouldnt you just put the escape function inside of the database
> query et al API function and then make a run-time configuration where
> it could be turned off? So that only strings passed to the database
> are escaped, they are always escaped unless you specifically turn it
> off and its use is transparent to the end user? i.e.
>
> EXPORTED_API_T
> database_query(query, ...)
> {
>        if (getconfig->add_slashes)
>                add_slashes(query);
>
>       db_query(query, ...);
> }

That's the whole idea behind perpared statements, and you should always
use them.  For a while PHP didn't even have this kind of API (does it
even have that now?), which is quite alarming, but more sensible
languages (e.g. Perl, Python, etc) have had them for a long time.

For those not familiar, a prepared statement in Python might look like:

 query = "SELECT * FROM foo WHERE firstname=?"
 cursor->execute(query, "Joe")

Notice how nice it is to have a decent API?  No work on your part and no
foolish hacks like addslashes() or magic quotes.

tim

Need to secure your web apps?
Cenzic Hailstorm finds vulnerabilities fast.
Click the link to buy it, try it or download Hailstorm for FREE.

http://www.cenzic.com/products_services/download_hailstorm.php?camp=701600000008bOW

--
PhD
Intoto Softwares, Hyderabad, India