Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Website detection

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:38:20 -0500

We are doing a PT for one of our customers with 5 webservers. None of
these webservers have the website
on the main url like http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but they have confirmed that
they have critical applications
running on all the 5 web servers and for security purposes they have moved
the websites to something
like http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/yyy.

That's a finding in and of itself.  Security through obscurity might keep
automated scanners at bay, but it's akin to having an anonymous ftp server
running on port 24.  It's still potentially vulnerable even though you have
to jump through extra hoops to find it.

Now manually I guess it will take years to identify the correct URL having
the critical website by using
guessing techniques. I was wondering if there is a tool that could try
various popular and brute force
combinations to automatically guess the possible URLs.

Have you tried Google searches using 'site:client.dom' to see if possibly
these URLs are already floating around out there somewhere?

PaulM