Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Fwd: Expresscard/54 vs PCMCIA: WiFi

From: "Thomas d'Otreppe" <tdotreppe () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:19:51 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thomas d'Otreppe <tdotreppe () gmail com>
Date: 18 févr. 2007 22:19
Subject: Re: Expresscard/54 vs PCMCIA: WiFi
To: "Sels, Roger" <roger.sels () gov-fbi net>

2007/2/16, Sels, Roger <roger.sels () gov-fbi net>:
For an example of such a pcmcia-to-usb adapter click:
http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/usb/u111.php
This adapter only support PCMCIA cards, so 16 bit only. Since the
Ubiquiti SRC (and all cards that do more than 802.11b), they are
cardbus, 32bit and it won't work.
You can use PCMCIA in Carbus slot but the reverse isn't true.

P.S. I've found 1 (!) pcmcia-to-expresscard conversion card so far -which
ultimately looks like a better solution than going over USB- but which
also is currently still "in test". And will require a different driver.
The chance to get it up and running in linux "out-of-the-box" seems slim.
http://www.duel-systems.com/products/adapters.aspx
It seems to be the only product to be able to use Cardbus cards. I've
never found anything else to use Cardbus cards.

Best regards,

Thomas