Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Cain & Able man in the middle attack

From: Kyle Evans <evans.584 () osu edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:42:13 -0500

There are specific models and IOS versions that support it. Here is a link to a pdf with a feature comparison on page 10:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps708/c2072/cdccont_0900aecd805f0955.pdf

The feature comparison doesn't show IOS versions, but I do know that older IOS versions for the 3550 do not support the features.

To answer your other question, you can use DAI and IP source guard if your network doesn't use dhcp, but it is a lot more work. Basically, both DAI and IPSG rely on dhcp snooping. So you must be using dhcp snooping to use DAI and IPSG, and if you don't have dhcp on your network, then you must create a static entry in the dhcp snooping binding table for every host.

Kyle

dubaisans dubai wrote:
Is there any specific Cisco IOS version or Cisco Switch hardware
models versions which support Dynamic ARP inspection or do all of them
support.?

Does DAI work only if the network is using DHCP or will it work in
static-IP-addressing is used also?