Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: I want the PT list back....

From: "Erin Carroll" <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:46:38 -0800

Thank you for this post Joseph. It's posts like this discussing the more
esoteric and non-technical aspects of pen-testing as a community of
professionals where I get the most bang for my buck. Tools releases and
various techniques are always useful and illuminating and in the almost 3
years since taking over moderation of the list from Al Huger I've lost count
of the number of posts asking "What tool does X" questions. And you're
right, it does take some restraint to not only refrain from the inevitable
"just google it" but to also allow posts from members along the same vein go
through.

I'm somewhat on the other end of things as the moderator for the list. I try
to be as hands-off in discussions as possible and let members contribute
rather than answer questions myself. It's too easy to cheat and write up a
nice thorough reply to a submission while I'm processing posts and steal all
the thunder... though it'd let me look all-knowing :)

Jerry Shenk also brought up a good point regarding not knowing a particular
area of security very well and being hesitant to ask for fear of flames.
I've been in the IT sector and security in particular for a long time and I
still run into areas where I need assistance or don't have enough depth. A
recent case in point: I was looking for a enterprise multi-user password &
authentication solution (Password Safe and similar too limited/more
single-user oriented) and my google-fu was pulling up a lot of fluff. Aside
from Cyber-Ark's solution I was wandering in the dark for other options to
explore. Luckily I was able to ping some contacts and was turned on to a
wealth of other tools. For some list members, a lot of the questions &
discussions I let through are basic or prompt responses of "maybe someone
else who knows wtf to do should be doing it". However, even some of the
"dumb" questions can uncover something new and interesting.

When I have some more time, I'll follow up with some of the challenges &
areas I'm running into.

--
Erin Carroll
Moderator