Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: SMTP Pen Test

From: Clone <c70n3 () yahoo co in>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:21:56 +0000 (GMT)

Well, did you mean Reverse-DNS? I guess Reverse-DNS &
SMTP AUTH should resolve both the issues.

Incorporating SSL on SMTP would further ensure that
emails are not stolen over the wire and there is no
identity theft.

I understand that applying SMTP AUTH wouldn't stop two
different domain SMTP servers with MX records like
smtp.xyz.com and smtp.abc.com communicate with each
other on sending or reception of email. I understand
that's what it should be like and that's what we want.

--- "Antonio Augusto (Mancha)" <khaoticmind () gmail com>
wrote:

SMTPAuth may be the solution for the second case,
but for the first
your best option is a good Antispam. Usually SMTP
will accept any
e-mail coming from anywhere (since there is no way
to identify if the
sender is valid or not).
Antispams can block some of this using technologies
like Domain Keys
(to verify if the e-mail from a () abc com really came
from teh servers
of abc.com), or grey listing (denying the e-mail at
first and wait for
the server at the other side to retry to send it),
among others.

Cheers,
KM

On Dec 4, 2007 3:50 AM, Clone <c70n3 () yahoo co in>