Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Analize Virus

From: "Robert McArdle" <robertmcardle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:24:38 +0100

If it Blackbox testing you are looking for (i.e. see effects of the threat
on the system) as opposed to debugging / dissassembly, here are some to get
you started, although there are many other excellent apps

Regshot - Takes before/after snapshot of the registry/filesystem-
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/Reg-Shot.shtml

Wireshark - Network Analyzer- www.wireshark.org

SysInternals (Now Microsoft) tools -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

has a good few that are worth a look, specifically Process Monitor,
Autoruns, Process Explorer, etc

After that you'll want some Rootkit detectors like GMER or IceSword

Robert McArdle
--
www.RobertMcArdle.com/blog/ - Techie/Security/Inane Ramblings